2007-12-20

Bus tour, part 2 plus The Color Purple

2 comments

After the ferry, we headed for some other areas of NYC.

One side of the New York Stock Exchange. This side used to have the street open to drive on but after the first World Trade Center attack in 1993, the street was closed to through traffic.



The other side of NYSE...


Me insisting on wearing my brand spanking new furry hat so that I don't freeze and so that I can annoy my mom...


View of the church up the hill from NYSE...


Next stop is the area where the World Trade Centers formerly stood and Trinity Church where rescue workers slept, ate and were cared for while working all day and night at the site...

An example of what each pew looked like w/a rescue workers coat draped over the end of the pew...






Across the street is where the towers stood but it's a major construction zone right now. This is what you can see through the cracks in the posts into the construction area...


Future plans...







Shortly after this, our tour ended and we were starving! We asked our tour guide where we should get some good pizza and he recommended John's Pizzeria. We were thinking more of a pizzeria where we could order a slice but this ended up being quite a nice place w/really yummy pizza.

We ate the whole thing...


At this point, we were just exhausted and returned to our hotel room to sleep. We slept for a couple of hours, changed into some nicer clothes and then headed out to see The Color Purple musical.

While in line, we waited along the road that goes between where the Late Show is taped and the Broadway theater...


I have to admit that I've never seen The Color Purple or read the book (despite my love of Oprah and her constant talking about it). The story is so fantastic and this musical is the best thing I've ever seen. The main role of Celie is currently being played by Fantasia and her performance brought tears to my eyes on TV and way more in person. It's so moving, she's so good (critics say even better than the actress she replaced who won a Tony for her role). Her run ends in a couple of weeks and I feel so fortunate to have seen it.

Fantasia's performance of one of her main songs at the Tony awards...


Afterward, we had a late dinner at Rosie O'Grady's Steakhouse and once I finally stopped crying, the martinis and food were excellent. Perfect night.

Tomorrow - Tavern on the Green, FAO Schwarz, Rockettes Christmas show and Rockefeller Center

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



2 comments: to “ Bus tour, part 2 plus The Color Purple


  • 11:56 PM  

    It sounds like you guys had a blast! NYC is AMAZING!! I am going to drag you with me next time I get to go with Frank for work!
    ~Amanda


  • 8:45 AM  

    Shannon -- what an awesome looking trip. I'm jealous. I've always wanted to go to NYC at Christmas time. Looks like so much fun!!! I hope you had a good Christmas. -- Jennifer Evans