2008-06-21

First 5K - done!

4 comments

Kam and I ran the first annual Stepping Out to Cure Sclerdoderma 5K in OKC this morning. It was a small event but very humbling seeing all of the "in memory of" shirts (including one large group of family members of someone who just passed about two weeks ago) and people with oxygen tanks.

They announced that runners would go first and there were only maybe 8-10 of us I'm guessing. They told us to go and we were off running. I was the last of the running group but some did stop running mid-way and didn't finish. I lost sight of Kam pretty quickly. The running path was two laps around a 1.5 mile course and I passed walkers on my second lap who were still on their first lap. It felt good to pass somebody even if they were walking. :)

My goal was 34 minutes and I finished in 32:27 despite the really high humidity that had me covered in sweat. First place was a high school girl who runs mid-distances for her school, then Kam, then the high school girl's mom.

Glad to have completed the first 5k and won't be doing my long run tomorrow since I ran today. Kam wants me to run a sanctioned race that's more official and includes timing chips. Considering the Midnight Streak in late July.

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



4 comments: to “ First 5K - done!


  • 10:45 PM  

    go nan! I'm so proud of you for your achievements!


  • 10:49 PM  

    Thanks, Kam. I'm happy to have so much support from you (and others)!


  • 12:43 AM  

    Love that you chose this cause and congrats on your time!


  • 11:18 AM  

    Shannon, that is so awesome! I am proud of you as well and glad to be in the "others" catagory on the support. It goes both ways you know. :) Congrats.