2008-06-15

Weekly health update

0 comments

Completed week 2 of half-marathon training. I did skip the two cross-training days because I was just very tired and needed the time off. I did lift weights and do all of my runs including today's 4 mile run which shaved almost 3 minutes off the last 4 mile run. Andy ran it the whole time with me this time and we about died in the heat and wind.

Weight loss...

Who would have thought that working out 6 days a week including running several miles would not equal weight loss? That's what I've been dealing with for the past month or so but became a little obsessed about it this week. After many conversations with people and reading a lot, it would appear that the running distance doesn't make you lose weight but varying the intensity does. I also think that my meals should be more protein/carb balanced. Varying intensities and balancing carbs/proteins are the tenets of the Body for Life program which we've had a lot of success with. The scale has now been put away, I'm not going to obsess over the points and just try to be sensible. I dug out a pair of "skinny jeans" that will be my new goal rather than a number.

Next week of half-marathon training increases the distance so this time next week, I should be writing "I just ran 5 miles!" Wish us luck!

Update: Body for Life website says not to combine BFL concepts while training for long distance running because the caloric needs while running are so much higher and the intense weights that are in the BFL program aren't appropriate for runners. The site says to do training and BFL separately so I guess that's what I will do!

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



0 comments: to “ Weekly health update