2008-07-29

Logic and emotion don't always line up

2 comments

Logic says: Putting your well-traveled 13-year-old on a plane alone to fly to South Carolina is fine. She loves South Carolina and has been on at least 50 planes in over a dozen airports.

Emotions say: Putting your baby girl on a plane alone where she has to connect in O'hare (where everybody seems to get stuck) is scary and what if she's delayed overnight and what if she doesn't find her gate and what is she misses her connection and...and...and.*

Logic usually wins out with me which is why I suggested the trip and booked the ticket. However, Andy will be taking Payton to the airport Tuesday morning to avoid me transferring anxiety to a perfectly capable teenager. Of course, I've got tracking setup every step of the way just to be sure all goes well. Wish me...I mean her...luck. ;)

* Liz knows people in Chicago so in the event Payton would be delayed overnight, they would be able to help out since Payton can't get a hotel room at 13 years old. Payton also has printed maps of the airport, a cell phone, cash and a debit card to assist her with whatever she needs. She'll be fine. I think.

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



2 comments: to “ Logic and emotion don't always line up


  • 12:45 AM  

    Good luck!!!!! Carter wants to fly next summer to Texas by himself. Direct, though....so not so scary....but I will be a wreck if it happens!


  • 12:49 AM  

    Payton flew alone when she was 6 1/2 on a direct flight from Dallas to Kansas City. 1 hour flight so it was easy. That was a month before 9/11 so she wasn't interested in flying alone after that. Despite the fact that she's 7 years older now, adding the connection at O'hare in the middle means the anxiety is the same for me. And just like last time, she'll be fine despite my neurosis. Carter will be fine too.